Sunday, August 14, 2011

2 years after the accident.

Today is August 14th, exactly 2 years ago I was in a ATV accident, that little did I know would change my life forever. 
It was a friday, and I had just arrived at my ranch and unloaded the truck. I had a race the next weekend so I was eager to ride. I quickly got my bike ready and went off to ride, I was having some problems with my bike but I figured it wasnt a big deal as long as I stayed close to the cabin, and wasnt out too long. Within I would say 5 minutes of being gone I just had this gut feeling I should go back. I didnt want to make a sharp turn around, since my bike was acting up. I figured I would just take the fence line around and cut through the barn. About 3 minutes later on the back fence line, I crashed. 
The nearest hospital is over an hour away, it was not a pleasant drive at all especially on a lot of bumpy dirt roads. 
Little did I know this crash would forever change my life. I immediatly started experiencing the symptoms of RSD, I would not allow anyone to touch me after the accident because of the pain. After I got back to where I live, 4 days after the crash, I went to see my orthopedic, where he found more broken bones then the hospital had found. He right away knew in the back of his mind I had RSD, but he didnt actually say it, he wanted to see how things went. 
I started school and things just kept getting worse, one day I couldnt even rest my foot on anything, even though I had a boot at the time but wasnt supposed to put weight. I went to the nurse to get some ice, when I took off the boot, my leg was even more bruised than before and on the side of my ankle it was so swollen there was a lump the size of a softball. She called my dad and told him I needed to see my doctor. I did and thats when he decided to do a MRI, I asked the doctor, do you think I tore some ligaments? His reply was I hope its just torn ligaments, but thats the least of my worries. 
I was confused I didnt know what he meant by that? The MRI was a emergency one so I had it done and got the results the same day. I went in to see my doctor, he found more injuries so he put a hard cast on and said lets see how this does. Again its getting worse and worse and I am having trouble staying in school. I go back and he says he now is sure I have RSD, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, He ordered a bone scan to see if it showed anything, and he took me out of school and placed me on homebound/hospital bound. The bones scan was lit up everywhere, and he said in all his years he has never seen it so bright, it amazed him. It was official I had RSD. 
Within about a month or 2 I had my second nerve block, and thats when my RSD spread into my backs and ribs and after that I wasnt even able to move my legs. 

Now 2 years later after more treatment then you could ever imagine, trying everything, I have had not even a little success. I now have RSD full body, and use a wheelchair to get around.

No comments:

Post a Comment